Sunday, September 23, 2012

Food Crusie

This cruise was all about food for me.  It was our final Greek Island cruise and I ate as much Greek food as I was able to!  I now completely understand why we have weigh-ins every two weeks…there is too much delicious food to enjoy in all the ports of call!
My food cruise started in Barcelona with my first Tapas experience.  Tapas are a bunch of small dishes that are shared with the whole table.  We had hummus, guacamole, cheese in olive oil, Spanish omelet and sangria.  It was delicious. 
(Tapas in Barcelona)
In Mykonos I had the most amazing salad that I will definitely be attempting to recreate when I get home.  It was a watermelon salad.  All you have to do is cut up fresh watermelon into small cubes, add chunks of feta cheese, pieces of mint and some olive oil.  Yumm.
(Watermelon, Feta and Mint salad)
Mykonos continued with more Greek food for late lunch.  Tatziki (Greek cucumber sauce), saganaki (spinach stuffed in pita) and bread. I ate so much! After lunch we went snorkeling to try and burn off a few pounds.  I was snorkeling around, looked down and found 10 stuck in a sea urchin!  What will the exchange rate be for that in the Found Money competition?!

 
Continuing with the Greek Islands, Santorini was our next stop.  Maarten and I had the whole day to ourselves, so we rented an ATV and explored the island on our own.  We saw the Red Sand Beach where we shared a sweet corn, headed to lunch at a restaurant overlooking the ship and ocean, then up the mountain into the clouds.  Our last stop was a Black Sand Beach before getting back on the ATV and heading home.  It was a perfect day spent with my man.
 
(Overlooking the Red Sand Beach)
(Lunch)
(Sweet Corn)
 
(Black Sand Beach)
 
It rained when we were in Athens; a nice change from the 100° weather that we have had in Athens the past two times we were there.  I went to Plaka, a local Greek shopping and restaurant area, with Matthew and Charmaine (one of the nurses on the ship).  The lunch I had wasn’t that amazing, but there was a Greek Frozen yogurt place called “chillbox” across the street that looked absolutely delicious.  And boy, was it good!
 
(Charmaine and Jessica)
The last day of my food cruise was in Malta.  Maarten, Hannah and I went out and found the cutest restaurant with the most scrumptious meal.  We had a cheese platter, sautéed mushrooms, bruschetta and a caprese salad.  It was such a good meal with even better company.
I am such a lucky girl to have had this amazing experience to see (and eat) the world.  I have missed a lot of my favorite American foods while in the Mediterranean, but I know that when I get back to the US I am going to miss all the incredible European tastes I have had here.  I am going to have to recreate some of my Mediterranean favorites with goods from Hannaford…we’ll see how that works out! Two cruises left! Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment