Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week 1

My first Celebrity Solstice cruise is complete.  It has been a complete whirlwind of events, emotions, outfits, names … and a lot of fun. 

This week we had 3 ports of call: San Juan, Puerto Rico, Philipsburg, St. Maarten and Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas.  I have been so busy with rehearsals, watching the outgoing casts shows, filling out forms, security training, Sexual Harassment training, life boat drills and getting lost on the many decks of the ship to step on solid land this cruise.  Sleeping on the ship is a lot like when we used to take family trips on Tomahawk, my dad’s 40’ sailboat.  The rocking of the boat would put us right to sleep.  Coming on the Solstice, I didn’t think that I would be able to feel the rocking because the ship is 317.25 meters long, but I was mistaken.  One of the male dancers was a little sea sick the first few days because he had never been on a cruise ship before, but he is doing much better now.  I think that the Atlantic crossing will be pretty rocky, but hopefully I can handle it!

This week my Vocal Captain duties were taken away and given to one of the other singers, for no wrong-doing of mine, but simply because he was promised the position by the director before rehearsals started.  The decision to make me captain initially was done without the director’s input and has now been changed.  She told me that she would definitely recommend me for the position on any future contracts I may accept, so that is definitely a positive reaction. 
The shows are going to be awesome!  I’m excited for next week to come when we can just perform for an audience with full costumes, make-up, lights…everything. The crew mess hall is not the most delicious place I have ever eaten, but it makes due in a pinch and when we have time to get dressed nicely, we are allowed to go to the guest dining hall, Oceanview Café.  The buffet-style food there is much better and there is always something (if not everything) that looks appetizing.  More to come.  My adventure has only just begun.
(Our Guest Cabin 8167)


No comments:

Post a Comment